article Ope's Opinions

THE ISLAND VS MAINLAND WAR NEEDS TO STOP AND HERE’S WHY

08:29:00Opeyemi Famakin

Recently I and a few of my friends (who just got back) decided to hang out and have some drinks and disturb Lagos, we anonymously decided the location to meet should be somewhere on the island and I suggested we chill at freedom park because it’s classy, affordable and they have Karaoke at night. Also because their food is lowkey affordable and all the cool woke kids tend to hang there. So after a few hours of drinking, eating and
making a fool of ourselves with the karaoke we decided to call it a night and we were about to head to our various homes then my friend said: “Thank God we’re not on the mainland, if not we would have been robbed or beaten”.
I was surprised at that statement, this is someone who hasn’t been to Nigeria for the past ten years and he made such an assumption with such certainty. To be fair I won’t blame him, I’d blame twitter ng and Instagram for propagating such an ideology. This pointless Island/mainland wars might seem like all fun and games but it’s actually affecting the economy of Lagos. How you might ask, well, here’s how.
Olamide’s island concerts are always sold out every time he does it on the island but the one time he decided to do it on the mainland the turnup wasn’t all that much, Why? because we’ve painted the whole of Lagos mainland as a ghetto.
My I just came back friends lodged at Radisson blue hotel in VI (which is very expensive) because ‘They’d rather stay on the island’ because social media has painted Lagos mainland to be savage.

READ MORE 




You Might Also Like

2 comments

Contact Form